171 Dawson Street Room 227
Sandusky, MI 48471
Phone: (810) 648-0212
FAX:(810) 648-2353

MVTF - FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE (Michigan Veterans Trust Fund)

Emergency Grants 

Temporary assistance granted by the Michigan Veterans Trust Fund (MVTF) for emergencies or hardships is available to eligible wartime veterans, and their families, residing in the state.  Under authority of Public Act 9 of 1946 (as amended), the MVTF cannot provide assistance for long-term problems or chronic financial difficulties.  Those eligible for the MVTF temporary grant program must apply through the MVTF county committee serving their county of residence.  All applications are investigated, deliberated, and decided in confidence.  Any applicant may request a personal hearing before the county committee at the meeting when his/her application is considered.  If the county committee denies an application every applicant has the right to appeal that decision to the Michigan Veterans Trust Fund Board of Trustees (with the opportunity to appear before the board to present information and answer questions.)  The MVTF does not provide loans under the temporary assistance program. 

General Definition of Need

When an eligible applicant is unable to temporarily provide the basic necessities of life in our society without causing a hardship, a situation for a possible MVTF grant exists. The assistance must be essential and not for the relief of an inconvenience or the purchase of a want/desire.  The key factor in determining whether or not a grant is justified is the ability of the applicant to manage the obligation for which aid is requested after a grant is made.  If there is no reasonable expectation that the MVTF grant would enable the applicant to resume his/her responsibility then aid is not appropriate or wise.  Since the MVTF only has the yearly earnings of the trust to provide grants and administer its operations, care must be taken to insure that the resources are expended wisely and where they will help the most.  If, by experience with the MVTF or through other means an applicants financial situation creates repetitive "emergencies" or appears chronic in nature, the county committee and/or board must refer that person to other resources designed to address those lingering needs.  In addition, the applicant should have attempted to resolve the emergency or hardship through every reasonable means available prior to asking the MVTF for assistance. In other words, the applicant should have tried to resolve the problem, but is apparently unable to do so without MVTF aid.  

Basic Eligibility  

To be eligible for a grant from the MVTF, a veteran or dependent must be a legal resident of the State of Michigan at the time of the application.  The veteran must have been discharged under honorable conditions, with at least 180 days of active wartime service (90 days for WWI veteran), or have been separated as the result of a physical or mental disability incurred in the line of duty (or aggravated by active duty).  Service during the following periods (or an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, plus 180 days of honorable active duty, for service between periods in places such as Grenada, Lebanon, Berlin, Persian Gulf, Mayaguez Operation, or Desert Storm) is required:

  •  WWI - April 6, 1917, to November 11, 1918

           (if service in Russia, then to April 1, 1920)

  • WWII - December 7, 1941, to December 31, 1946
  • Korea - June 27, 1950, to January 31, 1955
  • Vietnam - February 28, 1961, to May 7, 1975
  • Persian Gulf - August 2, 1990, to present

If a veteran has less than 180 days of active duty during these eras, duty in more than one period may be combined.  Evidence of separation or discharge with less than 180 days wartime service due to a physical or mental disability is required to determine eligibility.  Documentation The following items are required when filing an application for trust fund assistance:

  • Discharge papers, separation report, or DD-214 (showing the dates of active duty and the character of the release)
  • Proof of residence (driver’s license, voter registration, state I.D.)
  • Bills or account statements regarding the items for which you are seeking a MVTF grant

One or more of the following items may be required when filing an application for trust fund assistance:

  • Marriage certificate: birth certificate for minor children
  • Death certificate of a deceased spouse or parent
  • Documentation of any disability rating
  • Proof of employment or other income
  • Evidence of efforts at other appropriate agencies

  Applications for assistance are submitted in the veteran’s county of residence.  Please contact us if you wish to make an application.